Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Rose, or Wine, by Any Other Name...

Several days ago, I posed a question on a messageboard where I post regularly. Do you ever buy wine based solely on the name? What I mean is, you're wine shopping, and suddenly a bottle catches your attention, and although you've never tried this particular wine, you just know you have to buy it because of its name or the bottle. Sometimes, you get lucky and you actually end up with a pretty decent wine, too! So, in no particular order, here are some of the wines that came up in our discussion.

1--Fat Bastard--Who could pass this one up? With a name like Fat Bastard, I knew I had to buy this particular Merlot one day. Luck was on my side, too, because it's a pretty good Merlot. I understand from some friends that the Fat Bastard Shiraz is good, too.

2--Barking Sheep--I just came across this one a few days ago. It's from Argentina, and it has a label with a picture of a sheep holding a sign that says, "Beware of the Sheep." The first thing that came to my mind was the old Monty Python Flying Circus episode where they are trying to teach the sheep to fly! Barking sheep...I nearly laughed out loud and knew I had to buy it. I haven't tried it yet, so we'll see if it lives up to its name.

3--Menage a tois--I saw this one, and although I didn't buy it...mainly because I already had ten bottles of wine in my cart, and one more may have pushed me over the edge and labeled me as an official alcoholic, I think I will be going back in the near future to purchase this. Who could pass on a good Menage a Tois? Wine, that is.

4--Mad Housewife--I think the name says it all. I need to find some place that sells this one. On those days when the darling Czech Pecker and the spawns of Satan are getting on my last nerve, this would be the one to pull out. Better yet, I could put this one in a flask to carry with my for those emergency nervous breakdown moments.

5--Old Tart--My English friend, Sali, mentioned this one. I love the name! I need to go to the liquor store/wine shop that carries a large international variety to see if I can find this one.

6--Toasted Head--Sounds vaguely cannibalistic, doesn't it? I saw this Chardonnay a few days ago and picked it up. It has a picture of a bear on the label. We'll see how it is. As a rule, I'm not much of a white wine drinker, preferring the reds, but once in a blue moon, I enjoy a change.

7--Royal Bitch--I NEED to find this one. It screams my name.

8--7 Deadly Zins--This is another one that I totally need to find.

9--Smoking Loon--I haven't bought this one, but I've seen it and considered it. The label has a loon on it smoking a cigar. Smoking birds are really cool, you know!

It looks like I have a lot of wine to try. I guess it's a good thing I didn't give it up for Lent!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Menage a Trois Rose is good. I still haven't tried the red yet.

Stacey Sparks-Lazurek said...

I just picked up a bottle of the red table wine. I'll probably open it sometime this weekend!